Thursday, April 14, 2011

Gaga BAZAAR





As you can see from my earlier posts, I'm not a huge fan of the way celebrities hog the limelight when it comes to fashion. I feel the gratification should go to the designers, stylists and every other aspect of the creation. I'm also getting a bit fed up with pop-stars and actresses on the covers of high end magazines - when I buy a magazine like Harpers Bazaar or Vogue I expect something a little more edgy and less commercial than what I see on EVERY other magazine on the shelf. So you can understand that I was a little more than dismayed when I saw that Harpers Bazaar featured none other than Lady Gaga on the cover of the May issue. She has always had a bit of a negative affect on me: I understand that she is provocative, creative and absolutely one of a kind, but I got the impression she was just like a small child crying for attention in the playground when the other kids wouldn't let her play with them (possibly because she was so...weird). 
So you can imagine my (pleasant) surprise when I found I loved Terry Richardsons images and the interview itself. Perhaps it was the writing style of Derek Blasberg or even just the focus of the interview, but DID enjoy reading it (CLICK HERE FOR INTERVIEW).
It didn't start well - after reading about her late entrance and her announcement as she walked through the door ['gaga!' she said], my stereotypes of the diva popstar were fulfilled. 
My preconceptions of her utter ''individuality'' and downright weirdness were also lived up to as the conversation developed toward those little horns she calls bones growing out of her face and shoulders. When the journalist called them prosthetics, Gaga snapped, saying ''Well, first of all...they're not prosthetics. They're my bones.''
She goes on to explain to us that the 'bones' have always been inside of her, waiting to reveal 'Who I truly am'. She describes them as 'The light inside of us'.

You can see how I got my ideas, right?

It was later in the interview that I began to change my mind. 
Yes, she does speak of her idol, Alexander McQueen, channelling through her from the grave. Supposedly it was he that wrote her new track 'Born This Way'... 
Anyway.
She calls 'Born This Way' the marijuana to the Heroin of the whole album. 

It was the part where Gaga talks about her happiness as a celebrity and musician that touched me. We find that her money doesn't go on a particularly expensive house in LA, she actually prefers her NY flat. When asked if it would be hard to give up a glamorous life, Gaga responds by saying: 'it's not if it doesn't mean anything to you...what means something to me is my music. I don't want to make money; I want to make a difference'
The next question asked Gaga what life would be like if she hadn't become famous. 
I would still be living next door to my friend Jennifer, playing at the clubs I've always played at. It was never not going to work out for me because I was already living my dream when I was playing music."

I'm dubious as to the entire sincerity of her words. Gaga has become such an icon, and it is seemingly the bizzare art and creativity that makes her happy. Would she be as happy if this wasn't recognised?
I'm not sure, she did say 'I've always wanted to be an adjective.'

I haven't decided whether or not the article has changed my notions of this 'pop princess'. For one, I would never have expected to see her in Versace before now!
 But it certainly gave me something to think about. 








x

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...