Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cover Frustration: VOGUE USA





Perhaps it is just my personal taste, but for me, a pop star is not the sort of cover I want to see on a 'high-fashion' magazine. They bring an almost commercial element to it and if this isn't the general atmosphere of the magazine, then it cheapens it. I understand the importance of recognition, but when I see a magazine with Rihanna, for example, I certainly don't associate it with couture beauty and stunning imagery. 
Vogue USA featured Rihanna as the cover girl for April 2011 and although the spread, shot by Annie Leibovitz, is pretty beautiful, I would love to see a bit more...umph. There was no spark, nothing particularly special.
I can understand the concept behind picking Rihanna: she is certainly quirky and does get noticed for her unique sense of style. Her hair changes colour more than a chameleon and she isn't one to blend in: 'I always wanted to be the opposite of everyone else'.
In the interview she talks about her personal style :“It’s become m
ore about taking a risk. When I am putting looks together, I dare myself to make something work. I always look for the most interesting silhouette or something that’s a little off, but I have to figure it out. I have to make it me. I think that’s the thrill in fashion.”

In reading the interview my attention was captured, it didn't drift to other parts of the wonderful internet. But I can't say I was captivated at first glance. 
When I say you can't judge a book by its cover, I must remember to apply this to magazines. I am repeatedly disappointed when it drops through my front door, but pleasantly surprised when I sit to read it. 
I am not sure if I would call this my own fault, or that of the magazine. Has anyone else felt this frustration and irritation? Or am I just rambling about unimportant things only I think about?!









x




5 comments:

LO' said...

Hi !
Thanks a lot for you comment,
These pictures are amazing :)

Nice blog !

xxx
Laura

Barbora said...

Hey bella,
First of all, thanks for your sweet comment and secondly, I ABSOLUTELY AGREE with you regarding Rihanna and the covers in general. I didn't like Lady Gaga and I don't like Reese Witherspoon (Vogue, 5/2011) As for Reese, they used so much retouching that it doesn't even look like her! But the editorial inside is beautiful. I don't understand that, go figure! I actually don't mind celebrities on the covers but not on Vogue!!!!!
Xxx
http://barboradudinska.com
"fashionably tasteful.have a bite"

GrafiniYA said...

cool pictures!
thanks for the comment, I'd be happy if you join me)
very interesting to write)

Adrienne said...

honestly i dont particularly like rihanna(dont really dislike her either) but these pics of her gooooregous! i do respect her guts to try new styles and be herself!

Lee-Anne said...

I love this photoshoot but I really do hear what you're saying. Vogue's a high end magazine - use models with "substance" so to speak not pop stars!
Loving your blog and yep I am that extra follower.
Keep blogger :P

http://colour--love.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...