Monday, January 31, 2011

How do I look?

When I was asked this question, I wondered which way I was expected to approach it. Was it a simple description of my physical appearance? Because I could do that in a few lines: I have long brown hair, brown eyes and I’m really quite short. Today I wore a checked Topshop shirt and a bodycon skirt, both off eBay. I had my tattered New Look brogues on and a few vintage accessories. You could say I looked pretty much like every other 20 year old on Oxford Street that morning. If that was all that was being asked with me, then I’m already done. But I don’t think that was the whole object of this task. I saw this as an opportunity to really think about how I appear to those around me in different situations. To be honest, I’m not the easiest person to describe. How I behave and who I appear to be can vary pretty strongly from mood to mood. If I’m feeling happy and chirpy, having had a good long sleep, then I can seem very confident and even a little eccentric. If I’m tired or uncomfortable in a situation, then I probably seem quite timid and shy. I think it’s this two-sided aspect which is more true to who I really am. I don’t have the most self-confidence, but I try to appear as if I do, so as to avoid any judgement. I’m not entirely sure if this comes across, but either way, it’s the truth. If I’m honest with myself, I think I look like any young woman does when trying to find her way in fashion and life in general. Confident, yet scared. Feigned sophistication with youth and naivety hidden underneath. Hopefully, I look happy. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...